West Wales Railways: Milford Haven and Neyland Branches (Pen & Sword)

£25.00
2 In Stock

Part of the West Wales Railways series, this book starts at Clarbeston Road and covers the oil-rich town of Milford Haven, where oil refineries were opened in the 1960s in association with the deep-water port there. The refineries were built to to accommodate the vast amount of oil being imported in super tankers from the Middle East. In recent decades, the development of oil pipelines and the transition to renewable energy has seen the number of oil terminals there reduced to just one, at Robeston.

Neyland was the original West Wales terminus of the Great Western Railway, after plans to develop Fishguard were delayed until 1906. This led to Neyland seeing several through passenger and parcels trains to Paddington. This continued until 1963, when through passenger trains between Paddington and West Wales were terminated at Swansea, with a DMU service provided beyond. The Neyland branch from Johnston was closed under the Beeching cuts of 1964, involving the closure of the important Motive Power Depot whose allocation of County Class engines is well illustrated.

West Wales Railways: Milford Haven and Neyland Branches provides an important record of railways in this area of West Wales. Hardback. 128 pages, including over 250 black & white photographs.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.