Around Ipswich by Trolleybus (Adam Gordon)

Back Order

In Around Ipswich by Trolleybus the author, Colin Barker, takes a pictorial look at the trolleybus system with which Ipswich Corporation replaced its out-dated tramway system.

In 1900 Ipswich Corporation’s horse tramway was superseded by an electric tramway system, but in the wake of the First World War the condition of the infrastructure was poor, and a decision was made to trial some trolleybuses. The 0.74 mile route between Cornhill and Ipswich Railway Station was chosen to be the location for the pilot project, which commenced in September 1923. Initially the Corporation hired three single deck trolleybuses which featured a front entrance, allowing for one-man operation, solid tyres, and at the rear an open compartment for smokers. The success of the pilot led the Corporation to purchase the vehicles and order an experimental trolleybus from a local company.

The Ipswich Corporation Act was passed in August 1925; the Corporation placed trolleybus orders with two local companies, Richard Garrett & Sons of Leiston and Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies of Ipswich, and tram services ended on 26th July 1926.

A concise introduction summarising Ipswich Corporation’s decision to move from trams to trolleybuses is followed by two wiring maps, then a section showing images of early single deck trolleybuses in the late 1920s. Subsequent pictures have been arranged in order of each trolleybus service, with sections also included showing trolleybuses in association to depots; life after operational service; and finally dismantling the overhead wiring in the 1960s. Photographs are accompanied by captions detailing trolleybus information, along with background on the local surroundings.

2 maps, 41 colour and 244 black & white photographs. 156 pages

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.