Das Bw Wilsdruff (EK)

Back Order

A detailed history of the 750 mm railway works at Wilsdruff, which was for many years the hub of a now largely gone and once extensive narrow gauge network of over 100 km length. A loco shed had existed at Wilsdruff since the railway first reached the town in 1886, but this book concentrates on the period following its promotion to Bahnbetriebswerk (maintenance depot) status after World War II. Topics covered include:

  • The establishment of Wilsdruff as a railway works site
  • Other depots and workshops on the 750 mm gauge network
  • The management and administration of Wilsdruff works
  • The loco fleet
  • The unsuccessful attempts to replace steam with diesel traction
  • Routes served by locos based at Wilsdruff
  • Closure of the depot
  • Restoration of the depot as a museum and other surviving loco sheds on the network
  • Accidents on the network
  • Specials and last trains

Most of the illustrations are archive black & white photos but there is a colour section at the back. 192 pages. German text. Hardback.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.