The Melbourne Military Railway and the Derby to Ashby Branch Part 2: 1939 to Closure (Lightmoor)

£35.00
1 In Stock

The second volume in this two-part work containing a detailed examination of the Melbourne Military Railway, which occupied the Derby to Ashby-de-la-Zouch branch from late 1939 until the end of 1944.

The first volume covered the history of the Ashby Canal railway and the Midland Railway/LMS line, and the industries that they served, up to 1939. This second volume recounts the operation of the line by the War Department for civilian traffic as well as for training purposes, and the post-war years up to closure.

This volume begins with a detailed account of the No.2 Railway Training Centre in Derby, originally the LMS School of Transport. It looks at the physical extent of the school and describes some of the work carried out there.

It then moves on to look at the line to Ashby whilst under the control of the War Department, including the training and testing activities that were carried out on the line, as well as the public service trains that continued to use the line.

Finally, the book looks at the period after 1944, when the line was no longer required for military purposes, with control passing back to the LMS and subsequently British Railways. It describes the decline of the route, all of which closed in the 1960s except for a short spur to serve the Rolls-Royce factory at Sinfin to the south of Derby.

The Melbourne Military Railway and the Derby to Ashby Branch Part 2: 1939 to Closure is extensively illustrated with archive black & white photographs, including many official WD images. Also contains maps, diagrams and several appendices of statistical data, plus an index to both volumes. 312 pages. Hardback.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.