Severn Tunnel Junction (Crowood)

£20.00
1 In Stock

Severn Tunnel Junction was the site of the largest freight marshalling yard on the Western Region of British Railways. At its height, it boasted four yards and a locomotive maintenance depot, and stretched for over two miles along the Welsh bank of the River Severn between the town of Caldicot and the village of Undy.

Severn Tunnel Junction contains a history of this Goliath of a yard, first opened in 1886 by the Great Western Railway. It describes how the yard quickly became the main hub for South Wales freight traffic and how it underwent various enlargements as traffic levels continued to rise.

The opening of the `hump’ yard in 1930 and the effects of both world wars are described. Other chapters examine methods of working, repairs and maintenance, loco sheds, signalling and the Caerwent and Sudbrook branch lines.

Finally, the book turns to the decline of wagonload traffic in the post-war era and the eventual closure of the yard in 1987. Well illustrated in colour and black & white. 144 pages.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.